Topic Options
#6701 - 05/28/11 03:54 AM Using Vintage Warmer for Voiceover work
Chris Caldwell Offline

Hello, I'm a Voiceover artist who records in Pro tools 9. I have some questions.

Usually, I set up a single audio track and a master track. I apply the VM when I'm bouncing the audio to disc, rather than record with it in real time. This way I avoid latency. Anyway, my question is which is best to use on my voiceovers, Microwarmer, Vintage Warmer, or Vintage Warmer 2.

I just upraded to VM2. In the past, I've used just Vintage Warmer in a studio and just set it to the default settings of Mix First Aid 4. This has always worked great. I'm just wondering if this is the proper thing to do since I'm only really using this on a mono voiceover track.

Of course, I do these VOs for a living, and want to have the absolute best quality.

Also, am I supposed to still normalize the track or does Vintage Warmer 2 do this for you? Would it be redundant to normalize? if it is necessary, do you normalize and then apply vintage warmer?

With regards to the meters, I'm not quite how these work. Normally, I have a Waves Dorrough Meter plugin on my master track when I bounce. Is the VM meter necessary to use?

Finally, would the Oldtimer plugin be advantageous to someone who does voiceovers?

Thank you very much for your help and suggestion.
Chris

#6745 - 06/13/11 05:19 PM Re: Using Vintage Warmer for Voiceover work [Re: Chris Caldwell]
mathias Offline

from your questions i would assume, that you do not really know, what the plugin does to your tracks.
so it is difficult to answer your questions.
i encourage you to play around with the plugin and hear what different settings do to your voice-tracks.
you need good monitoring, to really hear the effects clearly.

when the metering is set to GR (gain reduction view), you can see how strong the plugin reacts to loud passages. you can dial it in with the drive knob. don't go for strong gain reduction, it could distort your audiotracks. then set your output with the outpulevel-knob - look at your dorroughmeters - to the desired level.

maybe you can make yourself familiar with how compression works, with the help of books or tutorials on the matter. this way you will manage to understand vw and use it correctly. or get advice by some audioengineers you work with/know, to get a grip on the matter.

have fun and good luck,
mathias

#6757 - 06/16/11 03:37 PM Re: Using Vintage Warmer for Voiceover work [Re: mathias]
Mateusz Wozniak PSP Offline

Mathias wrote everything fine. I would just add my few cents.
Of course it is a best to take some time to investigate such complex tool as the PSP VintageWarmer is. This would allow you to use various modes of the plug-in to get the most proper sound and to fix issues you want to get rid of your voice.

For instance a multi band processing preset is not the first choice for me for a single track, however in some situations it may be the write choice. If it sounds good it is good.

I just think that it is good to experiment a bit with controls to know how to tune your favorite presets to make the sound best possible, even if you don't want to go into all engineering details behind this complex processor.

Regards,