Topic Options
#5516 - 05/14/08 08:21 AM PSP Mastercomp is confusing me...
The Beatsmith Offline

Loc: UK
Hi

I have all the PSP plugs and love them. I have been using Mastercomp lately, as part of my mastering chain, and i'm puzzled to how it works (yes, i've printed and read the manual).

Basically, i'm adjust the controls so that the GR meters tell me i'm getting 3db of reduction. It's a subtle setting of 1.2:1. Anyway, the make up gain is set to 'auto'. So how come it either sounds like there's no change, or it's quieter?

The manual says that "The setting of this control depends on the current ratio and threshold settings. Due to the fact that some manual calibration may still be needed, even after engaging this button, you may still want to use the Makeup control for fine-adjustments. "

Huh? i don't get it, why doesn't the auto gain feature just work? Why am i setting an autogain, AND having to set it to +3?

I see that it also has an output knob/stage and limiter, which i would rather leave untouched. Although driving the limiter alone sounds pretty decent.

Anyway, even when using really high ratios and low thresholds to get loads of gain reduction - the make up gain doesn't really sound like it's making up the make up the

I am used to a compressor either giving 4db of reduction, and so you set the make up gain to +4 - and the sound peaks at the same value-ish, and sounds compressed (for example, my SSL Duende Bus Compresor) - or there is an auto makeup gain button. Why is the Mastercomp different for me? Half the time i can't hear it doing anything (i don't mean it's compression is transparent, i mean i can't hear it bringing the overall volume up at all)

Thanks

#5517 - 05/15/08 01:54 AM Re: PSP Mastercomp is confusing me... [Re: The Beatsmith]
adl Offline

Hm itīs working for me, if i turn on the AUTO knob, it adjusts the level in relation to the gainreduction. You can easily check how much gain is automaticly aplied by toggeling the pre/post switch (located between the VU meter).
If i have for example -10 RMS "pre" and the gainreduction is about 3dB i get -7 in "post" mode. So itīs perfectly working :-)

Running a PC with XP SP3 and Ableton Live 7 as DAW.

Edited by adl (05/15/08 01:55 AM)

#6681 - 05/02/11 06:21 AM Re: PSP Mastercomp is confusing me... [Re: adl]
Mateusz Wozniak PSP Offline

Every signal processed has a different spectrum content and different RMS level which cannot be guessed by the compressor. This is why sometimes you get more compression then the MC can automatically compensate.
Please try to use a s.c. low attenuation filter to lessen the compression on heavy low frequency content or use a manual make-up mode.

Regards,