Topic Options
#5236 - 01/27/07 04:49 PM Latency settings in Sonar 6
Celius Offline

I run Neon (and Neon HR) as insert effects on Sonar 6 PE but I cannot use it with LP activated because otherwise a big latency time is introduced on the track I am working on. I've tried every possible setting in the "Preferences" menu of Neon HR, I've set Sonar audio buffer to 2048, but still latency remains.
Is there anyone working with Sonar and Neon (HR) with success?

Regards

Celius

#5237 - 03/06/07 12:36 AM Re: Latency settings in Sonar 6
Hubert Pietrzykowski PSP Offline

Loc: Warsaw
Sonar cannot compensate the plug-in introduced delay automatically. It only has very primitive latency compensation which was introduced long time ago as part of DX standard, but it cannot be used for more sophisticated purposes like FIR-based filtering. The plug-in company called 'Sonic Timeworks' proposed their own software extension to the DX standard allowing for full latency compensation, but Cakewalk (unlike developers of other hosts like Sequoia and Samplitude) has not decided to support is so far.
The only way you can compensate the latency is to manually insert the properly set delay lines on all the tracks but the one Neon is used on. This is very tedious and hard to do correctly if you use aux busses etc...

#5579 - 09/21/08 08:12 AM Re: Latency settings in Sonar 6 [Re: Hubert Pietrzykowski PSP]
Ben Offline

Loc: Kentucky, USA
I'm currently using the Neon demo (non-HR) on Sonar 6 PE, and I don't see an issue with the latency. I placed it on a parallel drum bus, turned on the "draw waveform" function and Sonar seems to be compensating just fine. Sounds good too.

Now, I do have issues when I'm trying to run more than 2-3 instances on various tracks/busses. When I reach this point, I cannot even start playback without a dropout. Increasing the ASIO latency to the 16-25ms range helps here, but I do end up freezing/bouncing tracks to make it work.