Topic Options
#5218 - 08/27/06 12:17 AM Plugin Delay/Compensation in Logic
Blatboy Offline

Loc: NYC
So, I've got some pretty bad audio delay on the audio track I'm using the Neon or Neon HR on. I'm using Logic 7.2 and Neon v 1.1 on a G5 dual 2.0. I have plugin compensation set to "all" on both Logic and the plugin itself. Everything lines up fine in my session when the plug is bypassed, but when Neon is on, the track lags by about a quarter of a second..

Ideas?

#5219 - 09/09/06 08:02 PM Re: Plugin Delay/Compensation in Logic
sleepless Offline

Hi Blatboy

I've had same problem, after a short period where everything was fine (after 1.1 update)

I'm working with Logic Pro (7.2.1) and have a dual G5 2 GHz too (OS 10.4.7)

I've tried an old trick, and it works : so here it is (at last, it works for me).

trash
com.pspaudioware.plugins.pspneonhr.plist
and
com.pspaudioware.plugins.pspneon.plist

(they should be in User/Library/Preferences)

if you're enough confident in Mac and Logic routines, also trash all Logic preferences...

that's what I've done and it's OK, now

best

#5220 - 09/09/06 08:24 PM Re: Plugin Delay/Compensation in Logic
Blatboy Offline

Loc: NYC
Thanks Sleepless! I'll give that a try.
You rock!!

#5221 - 09/09/06 08:31 PM Re: Plugin Delay/Compensation in Logic
sleepless Offline

Hi Blatboy

don't forget to reset the preferences of Neon and Neon HR as you want them to be.
variable/always, for instance

best

#5222 - 09/09/06 09:56 PM Re: Plugin Delay/Compensation in Logic
sleepless Offline

Hi again

some news, but not good news...

my precedent "advices" were done in near real time ;\)

Trashing the Neon preferences works, till you use another or open a new project with different settings and above all, different EQ bands...
So you have to re-trash prefs, so it works for the current project. But it turns things upside down for the past ones \:\(

I think, dear all at PSP, that it could be nice for us user of Neon as an track/bus EQ to have definitely a PDC that works (I know Neon is planned as a Mastering EQ, but it is very useful anywhere in a project !)

I know that Logic has been late, but now there's no problems with TC and UA cards, so why not with the magnificent Neon ?

here's an idea (don't know if it's possible, I've never programmed something ;\) :
Implement a fixed latency corresponding to the maximum bands used (I assume that latency only grows when adding EQ bands, not when tweaking knobs), together with FAT and LP on, then we will never have variable latency, depending on hosts ability to read it in real time, etc.

I know that it will increase CPU usage, and having PDC equal for one or 8 bands may seems "unfair".
but what a peace of mind...

best

PS : and congrats again for your wonderful plugs !

#5223 - 09/09/06 10:24 PM Re: Plugin Delay/Compensation in Logic
sleepless Offline

Hi. again ;\)

sorry for the multiple posts, but I'm currently working, and I can testimony in real time...

I've tried lot of combination with Neon and Neon HR, both with UAD and PowerCore (PCI mkII and FireWire).

Guess what ?

not a single problem with UA and TC plugs, but asa you insert anywhere before, between or after other plugs a Neon, hop, the whole track or bus got latency...

I have to use MasterQ instead, but it doesn't sound the same...
I'm looking for chirurgical EQ, and Neon can do things Oxford EQ can't (and vice versa, of course)

please, dear PSP wizards, do something for us Neon lovers

#5224 - 09/19/06 12:56 PM Re: Plugin Delay/Compensation in Logic
Hubert Pietrzykowski PSP Offline

Loc: Warsaw
Hi,

The maximum latency mode is already implemented - you can access it through the preferences pane. If the latency mode is 'fixed' and latency comp is 'always' the latency does not change no matter how many eq bands are on and whether FAT/LP are on (however, it does change when you switch the resolution).

#5225 - 09/24/06 07:33 PM Re: Plugin Delay/Compensation in Logic
sleepless Offline

Hi Hubert
(remember me from the french RM mag days ?)

I'll give it a try tomorrow (not in the studio this evening), but I remember having problems even with fixed/always settings.
especially with quicktime movies sync while working on

keep you informed asa possible ;\)

JS

#5226 - 09/26/06 01:32 PM Re: Plugin Delay/Compensation in Logic
sleepless Offline

Hi Hubert

set NeonHR on fixed/always (I guess it's fixed/enabled for Neon) :
some "sync problems" (plays sometimes synced, sometimes slightly delayed) with Quicktime movies in 7.2.1 but :

I've updated to Logic 7.2.2, and guess what ?
works perfectly !

even if Apple recommands 7.2.2 for Mac Pro, it seems that there is some enhancements regarding PDC (not a Logic highlight, really)

so, NeonHR rules !!!