Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5197 - 08/07/06 06:52 PM Neon HR Performance
Dave Davis Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Hi,

I'm new to Neon HR, and have yet to find an application that can actually run it. I've tried it in Spark, Soundtrack Pro and ProTools, on dual and single processor G4s, but it spits and stutters everywhere. What applications can HR actually run in, and what speed cpu do I need (currently my dualie's 1.25 gHz, the single is 1 gHz)?

I've found that I can get it to sort of work in standard mode with FAT or LP off (I can run either/or). Regular non-HR Neon runs a tad better, but it isn't great either.

What up?

-d-

#5198 - 08/20/06 06:43 PM Re: Neon HR Performance
terminal3 Offline

Loc: London, UK
I'm running it on a dual-processor G5 (2.3GHz) and it's hurting... huge CPU hit on 'max' resolution mode, but it works in Pro Tools LE 7.1 and Peak Pro XT 5. Well, when I say 'works' - the sound does. Pro Tools starts to stutter graphically - the scrolling edit window doesn't scroll much, rather than just jump from place to place erratically, but the audio holds, thankfully. To put it bluntly, it's a processing pig, and I can't imagine having any success on a computer much slower.

On the upside, it's one of the best-sounding plug-ins I've ever used...!

#5199 - 08/21/06 10:01 AM Re: Neon HR Performance
Hubert Pietrzykowski PSP Offline

Loc: Warsaw
Please check your output (hardware) buffer settings. If it's too small the plug-in must do a lot of overlapped processing to deliver its output on time to the host, which makes the CPU-load extremely high.
Also, if you use ProTools please make sure you have version 1.1.0 of Neon (Neon HR) and PT 7.0 or later

#5200 - 08/22/06 11:03 AM Re: Neon HR Performance
terminal3 Offline

Loc: London, UK
in my case I'm always on the biggest buffer (1024 on the G5/002R) when I mix/master in Pro Tools. It's completely usable as a mastering EQ on my machine, I just get those graphical stutters, that's all - it's never overloaded the CPU.

#5201 - 07/18/07 09:48 AM Re: Neon HR Performance
Andrew Hamilton Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
Is Neon HR not going to be able to work properly within PTLE on Windows XP in a 2 GHz P4 desktop with 1 GB RAM?

Thanks,
Andrew

#5202 - 07/18/07 05:45 PM Re: Neon HR Performance
Dave Davis Offline

The biggest issues I've had revolve around latency reporting... I suspect that machine has plenty of horsepower to host it, and in a set up like yours (linear, off-the-DAW round-trip) the latency won't be a big issue, at least sonically.

What has been an issue on macs is sluggishness of the GUI - still an issue over here, esp when running FAT at high res.

-d-

#5203 - 07/18/07 06:45 PM Re: Neon HR Performance
Scrabble12 Offline

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I am running Neon HR on Dell 360 workstation, pentium 4, 2.8ghz, 1g ram. My host app is SAW Studio. Although I can tell there is quite a hit on CPU resources, I am able to run 3 instances of Neon HR with LP, FAT and MAX all turned on. No stuttering of sound or graphics. I haven't tried more instances. BTW, I had 4 other plug-ins running at the same time as well. 3 x Kjaerus MPL-1 SE limiter and one Sonoris dither.

Because this is advertised as a Mastering plug-in, I wouldn't expect to do any live tracking with it.

#5204 - 07/19/07 08:29 AM Re: Neon HR Performance
ARTHANOR Productions Offline

Loc: Geneva, Switzerland
Hi Guys,

I am experiencing exactly the same problems, both on ProTools HD3 and soundBlade. I hope the guys at PSP will send a fix soon.

Best,

#5205 - 07/31/07 09:47 PM Re: Neon HR Performance
Andrew Hamilton Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
Well, I finally got PSP Neon HR in demo mode on my PC (ASIC 2G P4/1GB) running PTLE7, and, [wo]man, is it nice! It was able to do magic, compared to my other (non-linear phase) eqs. In conjunction with standard eqs, it was almost as powerful as working from stems. Performance-wise, PT showed the processor running at about 50% when I had only one instance of this plugin active - and no other plugs, streaming through PTLE (DIGI002) in e-e mode (no rendering/no recording). I was able to use it in LP and Hi res mode, no problem, but when I tried to add the FAT button, there would be about one second of audio garbage while Neon re-calibrated itself, and then it worked fine. However, I was not able to use the MAX setting. It was pure audio garbage (sounds of time expansion gone amok). Indeed, the latency is huge. I didn't measure it, but bypassing it and reinserting it was like dropping the record needle at different parts of the song, it was so extreme. As D. Davis mentioned, that's a non-issue for me, since I'm just streaming 2 channels of audio that don't need to sync to anything. Overall, I would highly recommend this plug-in. It looks cool, too. (:

_andrew

#5206 - 08/24/07 08:28 PM Re: Neon HR Performance
Dave Davis Offline

Any word on an update for Neon HR? I absolutely love the plug in, and it kills me that I haven't been able to use it in ages due to the issues mentioned above. It has major issues in both PT and sB.

Any progress? ETA?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >