Topic Options
#5154 - 03/16/06 03:09 PM Neon HR--crashing Live 5 in max res
feyshay Offline

Live 5 cannot run Neon HR in Max resolution or with High and FAT engaged.
I'm using 2048 sample rate on my soundcard with 44.1kHz/24 Bit.
I have a dual processor 3.2GHz machine and use Win XP. This thing is fast. Neon HR in Live 5 is not usable in any mode but standard. Even standard with FAT engaged gives a CPU hit of 47%.
Neon HR works just fine in Sound Forge 8. Maybe a 10% CPU hit with Max resolution engaged.
There are some other flukes with Live 5 (some presets are screwy and result in odd lines on the graphics screen (where the equalizer is).
I really like Neon HR, but am conflicted about purchasing. I'm generally going to be doing mastering within Sound Forge 8, but this will be a deterrent with other Live 5 users.
What CPU consumptions are folks getting with similar settings on Cubase, Sonar, etc.?
Any comments from PSP?

#5155 - 03/16/06 10:04 PM Re: Neon HR--crashing Live 5 in max res
Antoni Ozynski PSP Offline

Thanks for your report. We will try to find what cuse a problem.

Warm regards
Antoni Ozynski

#5156 - 03/16/06 10:42 PM Re: Neon HR--crashing Live 5 in max res
Diederick F.M. Cools Offline

Loc: Tilburg, Netherlands
What CPU consumptions are folks getting with similar settings on Cubase, Sonar, etc.? [/QUOTE]

I "said" because I wrote a long story here about the iLok and it was all negative. Don't want to do that here now so I deleted it:(.

The CPU version of Neon in Live 5 is 0 (zero): Installed Neon, Started Live 5, got the 14 days message, dropped the VST plug-in and it said that the 14 days are over. So I can not even try this plug-in and the HR version I will never use because of the iLok.

Regards,
Diederick F.M. Cools.

#5157 - 03/17/06 05:18 AM Re: Neon HR--crashing Live 5 in max res
feyshay Offline

I changed the plug-in buffer size using Live 5 preferences to 2048 and now the CPU consumption is about 20% with Neon HR. Still more than Sound Forge, but very acceptable.

Funny, I thought I had changed this to 2048 yesterday and still crashed Live 5. I guess not. Turns out it seems you have to close whatever set you have going in Live 5 in order for the plug-in buffer size to actually change.

I had my soundcard set to 2048 and thought that was fine. I also needed to change the plug-in buffer size within Live preferences. Learn something new every day.
The CPU usage at max with FAT mode is 18%.
By the way, Neon HR is really a fantastic equalizer. I'll definitely be purchasing. No problems with ILOK, BTW.

#5158 - 03/17/06 08:20 AM Re: Neon HR--crashing Live 5 in max res
steff Offline

Yes, it is really great - wish I could use it on a few tracks - as it is really great for sculpting sound and staying pretty transparent.
Like always with PSP plugins, in 2 years we will be finally able to benefit from it - when computers are faster :-)

I did not even test the Max with FAT as - well, no chance at 256 buffers, would need to change buffers.

best

#5159 - 03/26/06 03:03 PM Re: Neon HR--crashing Live 5 in max res
iain m Offline

I'm having the same problem as Diederick F.M. Cools with the Neon demo. Upon first use in Live 5.0.3 it simply says the 14 days are over. However, it works in Logic 5.5.1.

I'm running Win XP SP1.

#5160 - 05/24/06 01:42 PM Re: Neon HR--crashing Live 5 in max res
allergicrecordings Offline

Loc: London
I am experiencing severe delays/glitching/processor drain in Live 5 too. I have whacked the buffer right up so I have eliminated the glitching, but I have a question on the delay.

I am using the EQ on three separate channels at a time, a low, mid and high freq channel. There appears to be different delay times between the high and low frequency channels - is this right?

The result is that there is that the combined channels are out of syn with each other so teh track sounds ridiculous.

Any advice on how to get round this. I should point out I am using the demo of Neon (not the HR version). Thanks.

#5161 - 08/03/06 07:56 PM Re: Neon HR--crashing Live 5 in max res
Hubert Pietrzykowski PSP Offline

Loc: Warsaw
to everyone who experienced this problem (demo expires sooner than then 14 days) - please load demo once again - the problem has been fixed. The new demo will run for 14 days even if you had the previous demo installed.