Topic Options
#4930 - 05/22/07 07:10 PM Pro tools HD @96k and ALL CPU is used!!
crizdee Offline

Loc: Brighton UK
Hi,

Been trying the demo of master comp and love the sound of this baby, But in a 96k mastering session my entire CPU is used with just one insert on a dual 2 gig G5 with 2 processors set for RTAS and with buffer set to 2048!

Seems bizarre that i can't use any other processors in a session with this plug.

So can you code a TDM version please.

Chris

#4931 - 05/22/07 08:27 PM Re: Pro tools HD @96k and ALL CPU is used!!
OTR Mastering Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Are you using MComp in FAT mode? If so, don't...

#4932 - 05/23/07 03:20 AM Re: Pro tools HD @96k and ALL CPU is used!!
gwmullins Offline

Loc: Brownstown, MI
crizdee,

I e-mailed PSP about this a while back. I can't get it to run a single instance in FAT mode at 96 kHz in PTLE with a Quad Opteron 265, 4 gigs ram, one stereo track, buffer at 2048. This is a computer that will run 147 D-Verbs at 48 kHz. I've been taking the OTR Mastering route and just "don't" use FAT mode at 96 kHz.

There is obviously something wrong here.

Greg

#4933 - 05/24/07 07:45 PM Re: Pro tools HD @96k and ALL CPU is used!!
crizdee Offline

Loc: Brighton UK
Are you using MComp in FAT mode? If so, don't...

Hi,

I am using fat mode as that's been giving the best results, but even without fat engaged its still a big cpu hog!

Just a shame that such a good plug requires a $4000 cpu for 1 instance. I could buy a Manley Vari MU for that!!!!
Chris

#4934 - 05/28/07 10:58 AM Re: Pro tools HD @96k and ALL CPU is used!!
Mateusz Wozniak PSP Offline

Actually the MC is running on one CPU and absolutely not on both CPUs in your Mac costing $4000.

Sadly G5 isn't as fast CPU as it was advertised and this is probably one of reasons why this Mac line is discontinued now.

PSP MasterComp is using very complex algorithms to get results as close to digital artifacts free processing as possible. The FAT algorithm is mainly designed to be used in low sample rates as its influence on sound drops drastically in higher sample rates while it forces CPU to work really hard with FAT enaged.

The FAT is always giving about 2.5 times more CPU usage compared to non-FAT mode.

Regards,