Topic Options
#49 - 12/18/01 05:01 PM Too strong
Per Åkesson Offline

Loc: Sweden
I am a happy amateur when it comes to using a mulitband compressor limiter. I am very happy with the ways the presets sound so I mostly use them. A typical situation is that I use VW presets as inserts for snare, kick, guitar and bass. Then I use some preset for mix or master as a master effect. I can clerly see that the input level at the master stage is to strong, the VU meters lays flat to the right. What is the best way to get a more suitable level since I am obviously overdoing it.

Thanks

Per \:\)

#50 - 12/18/01 08:21 PM Re: Too strong
Mateusz Wozniak PSP Offline

Hi,

First of all the level you can see is a VU which means this is not exactly related to the Peak level (to see pseudo peak level change to PPM).
Various music and pplications require different average levels. The best way to find out what VU level are the best is to listen through the VintageWarmer some commercial music of the same kind you make with a Drive set to 0dB and Knee set to 0%. Then go to the back panel and adjust 0VY reference level so the reference music would drive meters to 0 and occasionally to +3. After that calibration close the VintageWarmer and every new instance of that plug-in will be calibrated in the same way.
Now you can go back to your music and see what VU levels are displayed.

#51 - 12/19/01 10:22 AM Re: Too strong
Per Åkesson Offline

Loc: Sweden
Thank you for the prompt and helpful answer. I will rush home and try it out!

Per