Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4869 - 12/23/05 12:08 AM Re: CPU usage in different apps- your thoughts?
Phil Fee Offline

Quote:
All of my examples were at 44.1 with fat mode engaged. The plugin really sounds better in fat mode, so I don't see the point in using the lo-res version. I have other plugins that are less stellar sounding and easier on CPU. I bought the mastercomp for it's great sound (fat mode).

Again my CPU results (44.1 FAT)

wavelab: 18%
Cubase SX2 60%

Why the huge difference?
I agree that FAT mode sounds better. As far as the CPU - what are you buffer settings in Cubase? I am wondering whether Wavelab is perhaps not operating the plugin at low latency (which uses more CPU) and is thereby conserving a lot of CPU cycles.

#4870 - 02/19/06 10:02 PM Re: CPU usage in different apps- your thoughts?
zakco Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Fee:
I agree that FAT mode sounds better. As far as the CPU - what are you buffer settings in Cubase? I am wondering whether Wavelab is perhaps not operating the plugin at low latency (which uses more CPU) and is thereby conserving a lot of CPU cycles. [/QB]
My soundcard (MOTU424) is set to 512 in both SX and Wavelab. Perhaps the PDC in SX is causing the higher CPU usage. As far as I know, wavelab doesn't use PDC, being a 2 track editor.....

Thanks for the replies.

-Z-

#4871 - 03/11/06 08:23 PM Re: CPU usage in different apps- your thoughts?
Mateusz Wozniak PSP Offline

I don't know any reason for such different in CPU usage, I have no problems on any of our notebooks here. It is possible (but not sure) that there is a kind of difference in driver usage in both applications.

#4872 - 03/13/06 08:48 AM Re: CPU usage in different apps- your thoughts?
Phil Fee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mateusz Wozniak PSP:
The PSP MC cannot be optimized with SSE2 or any other similar instruction set. This is because of the very high internal precision of entire algorithm which cannot be used in those instructions.
My understanding on Vista is that when working in a 64 bit application no VST plugs will be able to use x87 instructions. The full feature set for Vista (larger address space etc) means SSE only. Does this accord with your own information?

#4873 - 03/15/06 07:49 PM Re: CPU usage in different apps- your thoughts?
Mateusz Wozniak PSP Offline

64 bit addressing space has nothing to do with 64 bit operands in SSE. These are different stories.
What is more the MC cannot be optimized with SSE not only because not all CPUs support 64 bit floating point numbers but also because of its architecture which doesn't allow sirious pararell computations.

Regards,

#4874 - 03/16/06 03:12 PM Re: CPU usage in different apps- your thoughts?
feyshay Offline

CPU consumption in Live 5 with FAT mode engaged is running around4 40%.
In Sound Forge 8, same settings--runs around 7-8%.

#4875 - 03/16/06 03:12 PM Re: CPU usage in different apps- your thoughts?
feyshay Offline

That was for 44.1khz, 24 Bit.
Good soundcards (MOTU Traveler) 3.2 dual processor.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2