Topic Options
#4850 - 09/09/05 06:59 AM Auto FAT mode?
Phil Fee Offline

One trick which really helps optimising a final mix is an automatic high quality mode feature offered by some VST synths and plugins. These plugins have a CPU chewing High Quality mode which is selected automatically when bouncing if the "Auto" mode is activated.

The quality slider typically has Low/ High and Auto modes and selecting this last means the plugin conserves CPU in regular playback but during offline rendering (non-realtime bouncedown) it automatically switches to maximum quality mode.

Perhaps PSP's Master series (Master Q and Master Comp particularly) could benefit from this mode also - just as a third position on the FAT switch perhaps. This would allow me to use multiple instances at max quality as a track compressor/Eq without having to bounce tracks so much.

#4851 - 09/09/05 09:11 AM Re: Auto FAT mode?
Mateusz Wozniak PSP Offline

The idea is interesting however FAT cannot be directly considered as a High quality mode and setup of entire plug-in in FAT mode is different then in the no FAT mode. Please note that as it is a mastering plug-in and not a kind of a reverb or modulation, you cannot guess how good it would sound with a FAT mode or simply think that it will be just better with FAT engaged.
I personaly think that within a mix in most cases the PSP MC will sound far better without FAT then many other compressors applicated in a similar way.

Regards,

#4852 - 09/09/05 10:13 AM Re: Auto FAT mode?
Phil Fee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mateusz Wozniak PSP:
The idea is interesting however FAT cannot be directly considered as a High quality mode and setup of entire plug-in in FAT mode is different then in the no FAT mode. Please note that as it is a mastering plug-in and not a kind of a reverb or modulation, you cannot guess how good it would sound with a FAT mode or simply think that it will be just better with FAT engaged.
I agree that it sounds different but I find that it is also better - not surprising. I would generally tune each instance to suit the particular application in FAT mode.

The problem in a host like Cubase SX 3 is that as soon as you switch on an instance - even with the transport stopped - the full CPU load is incurred. The Auto switch gets around this by letting you set up a mix with multiple instances active and then do the offline render.

#4853 - 09/09/05 05:11 PM Re: Auto FAT mode?
Mateusz Wozniak PSP Offline

OK, I will keep this idea for future consideration.