Topic Options
#4838 - 08/29/05 10:50 PM FAT adds brightness?
BB54 Offline

Loc: Sweden
Is the FAT mode in any way similar to the FAT mode in MasterQ? I find that FAT in both plugs adds brightness in a way that is not always wanted. Anyone else hearing this (can I still trust theese old ears?)?

I really like what MasterComp does for dynamics, sounds really nice on some acoustic recordings I tried it on.

#4839 - 08/30/05 02:20 PM Re: FAT adds brightness?
Mateusz Wozniak PSP Offline

The FAT in the PSP MC is very similar to that of the PSP MQ however it is designed in the way that it doesn't change the original signal at all if there is not filtering (MQ) or compression/expansion (MC) engaged. However if the filters are engaged or compression/expansion ratio is different then 1:1 the processing is done with minimized digital artifacts. You can clearly observe this by doing some measurements.
You can also measure the linear response of both plug-ins to note that the brightness mentioned by you is probably a psychoacoustical phenomenon.

This doesn't of course mean that the sound change with the FAT engaged will sound better in a particullar situation, it is just an option to choose from. For me the PSP MC sounds good (and measure as well) great even without FAT engaged and in many situations I would choose to process without it - especially in high sample rates where there is probably no further need to double sample.

Regards,

#4840 - 08/31/05 11:28 PM Re: FAT adds brightness?
BB54 Offline

Ok, maybee I can't trust my ears every day or perhaps something in the program material caused this sensation when compressed... I bought Master Comp anyway and will continue testing. I shall listen to FAT in MasterQ again, it was a long time ago i thought about this.

#4841 - 09/01/05 05:06 PM Re: FAT adds brightness?
Mateusz Wozniak PSP Offline

I don't know exact reason of this phenomenon, I didn't notice it during my tests but I think that this is interesting and I would appreciate other comments about it.

Regards,

#4842 - 09/01/05 10:01 PM Re: FAT adds brightness?
BB54 Offline

One other probability is that other s/w compressors used for reference in my test of Master Comp might color the material dark in an un-linear way.

I used Master Comp (with FAT) with very good result as the only masterplug on a natural sounding acoustic recording yesterday. Glad I bought it.