Topic Options
#4819 - 08/27/05 07:47 AM Compression Ratios
Phil Fee Offline

I'm liking the sounds I'm getting with MasterComp - still experimenting mostly with applications as a track and bus compressor.

Just wondered if there are plans to offer finer adjustment of compression ratio in a future update. The current steps (eg 2, 2.8, 4, 8, infinity) are a little bigger than optimal IMHO.

Phil

#4820 - 08/27/05 08:11 AM Re: Compression Ratios
Mateusz Wozniak PSP Offline

Hi,

A step setting was chosen due to some technical reasons. A choise of steps, however, was done during a year of tests and in my opinion they are doing fine and makes things even easier to setup then with fine controlled ratio. In most of cases a proper depth of processing can be done with proper Threshold and Mix adjustment.

Could you describe an exact situation when you have a problem with current steps?

Regards

#4821 - 08/28/05 07:55 PM Re: Compression Ratios
Phil Fee Offline

In tweaking settings to suit a particular application I am used to working with finer levels of adjustment. I get a decent result with Master Comp with one ratio setting or another but I am left wondering about what an intermediate setting would be like.

The "exact situation"? Hmmm - well it is analogous to that which confronted Goldilocks (in Goldilocks and the Three bears) This one is too soft, that one is too hard - now where's the other one that's just right? :-)

Of course, without being able to try the intermediate ratio I don't know if it would necessarily be better.

I am guessing that you are hand coding each of the 11 settings for the best sound and this would be impractical perhaps with (say) 32 levels on the Ratio scale?

#4822 - 08/29/05 04:00 AM Re: Compression Ratios
OTR Mastering Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
I would like to see a setting between 1.4 and 2.0 - (1.7?) as I often used that setting on the compressor I'd been using before MComp.

Another thing about the Ratio control is that I feel that it takes a little too much mouse movement to change the setting. I would like for the control to be just a little more responsive to the mouse.

Is it impractical to set the knobs up to be controllable via the mouse wheel? In Samplitude, if you mouse over a control and scroll the wheel, it changes the parameter in course increments. Fine adjustments can be made by holding 'Shift' while scrolling the wheel. I think it could be helpful to implement similar functionality in MComp.

BTW, I really like this plug. It has dramatically improved the quality of my work. Thanks PSP!!

#4823 - 08/29/05 06:40 AM Re: Compression Ratios
Mateusz Wozniak PSP Offline

Your votes are important. I will keep it in a wishlist and see what could be done to improve it.

In my opinion fully fine controllable ratio is something pretty annoying. You always try to adjust it and you never know if there was any better setting :-)
Maybe some extra intermediate steps would be a kind of solution, we will see.

Regards,

#4824 - 08/29/05 05:46 PM Re: Compression Ratios
Phil Fee Offline

Thanks Mateusz - I think that it is probably worth giving more settings just so that nobody feels the lack of them.

In the case where somebody is trying to replicate settings from one compressor to another (even just as a starting point for tweaking) the finer resolution might help also.