Topic Options
#3688 - 03/25/05 12:27 PM Midi Control
fresh27 Offline

Hi.. i've just bought Nitro and i think it is a cool plug-in..
However, i'm having trouble controling it via midi.. i want to be able to twist a knob on my keyboard to automate the plug in.
I'm using pro tools.. i have nitro on a track. i've opened a midi track and put the output to nitro. i twist my knob ( ) and it records but it doesn't control the plug in..
do you get what i mean?
i need help
thanks
fresh

#3689 - 03/29/05 09:52 AM Re: Midi Control
Hubert Pietrzykowski PSP Offline

Loc: Warsaw
Nitro does not allow to directly assign an editor control (knob, switch) to a MIDI CC. Instead, Nitro gives you much more powerful MIDI control. It is the MOD display tab where you set up all the modulation, including MIDI. You can choose virtually any MIDI message to be the modulation source (midi note no, midi note pitch, velocity, aftertouch and, of course, control change message). The main advantage of such method is that you can control more than one processing parameter with one MIDI message type, and each of the parameters can be controlled in a different way (you can set up the depth of modulations slots irrespective of each other - this allow f.ex. the filter cutoff to be increased and the resonance to be decreased as you turn the knob on your MIDI control surface). If you want simple one-to-on midi to parameter assignment simply choose the proper MIDI CC no to be the modulation source (use MIDI learn feature if you want), set the modulation depth to +100% and choose the modulation destination to be the parameter you want to control. Also you will need to switch the modulation on by clicking on the 'status' column next to the modulation slot.

#3690 - 03/29/05 01:05 PM Re: Midi Control
fresh27 Offline

Thanks a lot for replying.. I think i've got it working now..
An idea for an update would be so show knob movement when your using a midi controller..
Other than that, this is a cool effect.

#3691 - 06/06/05 10:43 PM Re: Midi Control
fr4ncesco Offline

Hubert,
I can't use MIDI control in Sonar 4 PE.

Here's the situation (almost a classic one): I want to assign Nitro - a Moog LP filter - to a drumloop and then use the modulation wheel to control the cutoff (my controller is a Novation Remote 25).

I think my procedure is correct so I don't know what I'm doing wrong:

- I have the loop in the audio track, insert Nitro in the fx bin (insert) and set the filter. I hear Nitro processing the loop

- I create a MIDI track and set its output to Nitro

- in the MOD window, I set the source as "midi cc", then I press "Learn" and move the modulation wheel on my Remote 25. OK, Nitro recognizes it and puts "001:modulation" in the source column

- I set amt=100 and destination=op1 frequ

But then the cutoff frequenct doesn't move!
Is this normal or am I making any error?

Thanks

ciao
Francesco

#3692 - 06/12/05 10:22 PM Re: Midi Control

This is strange, because it looks like the MIDI messages are properly routed to the plug-in (because it is able to learn the controller number). Are you sure that the modulation status is on (this is the last column on the MOD matrix). Also, please note that the Nitro editor knobs will not move when you turn the one on your MIDI controller.

#3693 - 06/14/05 06:32 PM Re: Midi Control
fr4ncesco Offline

can't remember if last time I switch the modulation status on...
anyway...it's working now!

last issue (but a very minor one as it adds just some choreography
): moving the modulation wheel, I hear the filter close and open but in the graph I don't see the cutoff move (it moves only if I move the know with the mouse).
Is it intentional?

ciao
Francesco

#3694 - 11/23/05 12:27 PM Re: Midi Control

Yes, this is intentional. The reason is that if you had more modulation sources (not only modulation wheel, but also LFO or envelope follower) assigned to the same parameter (filter cutoff in this case) the filter graph would be unreadable. Besides, it would eat more CPU resources, as the plug-in would have to store the actual parameter value (after modulation) in each processing frame and report it to the GUI. Now it only recalculates the plot when the parameter is changed (as controlled by the GUI knob) - this is done on the separate low-priority thread so there's no risk of buffer underruns and audio drop-outs and pops.