Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#28 - 12/15/01 02:43 PM Mixtreble & VW
LWL Offline

Loc: Thailand
Hello,
I've mastered some of my works by these 2 plugs and wonder if I used them correctly? Anyone use them other ways? Let's Share.

I inserted Mixtreble at the Logic's output object to make exciter/enhancer thing to my music then VW to act like Mult.Band Comp./ Maximizer then Logic dither to 16 bit at the end of serial. To my ears, result is very good indeed (i like VM much more than my old L1) and felt regret VM come after i finished my latest film score here in Thailand.

Logic 4.8.1
Mac G4 533 Mhz Ram 768 mb
Echo Gina
Event 20/20p monitor speaker

Boonrut Sirirattanapan
Bangkok, Thailand

#29 - 12/15/01 06:13 PM Re: Mixtreble & VW
putte Offline

Loc: stuttgart, germany
 Quote:
Originally posted by LWL:
Hello,
... and felt regret VM come after i finished my latest film score here in Thailand.

haha....the same with me here. \:\)
Just after I finished my very first full-lenght film score I used VintagWarmer and felt the same regret.
But now itLs here, and the very best sounding mastering-plug I ever heard and used. Exactly what I wish mymusic should sound in the end. I stopped to give my stuff away to get it mastered since VW arrived.
Jaha!

As this is my first post here ILd like to say hello and thanks 1000times to Antoni and Mateusz from PSP for creating such wonderful plugs. Till here I love it all, The Packs and VW.
Some more good things to come, right guys?
;\)
Ah, yes, and the very best luck for PSP at he NAMM....keep care

putte

#30 - 12/15/01 06:16 PM Re: Mixtreble & VW
putte Offline

By the way, to stay on topic:
The combination I use sometimes is
1.MixSaturator in the first slot, and VW in the second.
putte

[ December 15, 2001: Message edited by: putte ]

#31 - 12/16/01 07:17 PM Re: Mixtreble & VW
LWL Offline

Hi Putte,

I wonder why you use MixSat. and then VW because in my understanding VW has "warmer thing" in its' path, isn't it?

Let's give me knowlegde I didn't know yet because I know that my skill in mastering (especialy in 5.1 & 7.1EX format) is in very infant state.

Thanks for Antoni et al too!
LWL

#32 - 12/16/01 07:23 PM Re: Mixtreble & VW
LWL Offline

Oh! Putte,

Same as me! that's my first full length film score too! Maybe we could share some technical solution we confront to make better next works (I contacted for next 2 films already).

Thanks,
LWL \:\)

#33 - 12/18/01 02:03 AM Re: Mixtreble & VW
putte Offline

Meanwhile I mostly only use the VW in the summ-insert. And mostly donLt have the feeling that there should be another pluggie inserted.
Before VW and the MixPack i used to take the Waves plugs, and tried out diffrent variations with their RenComp, the RenEQLs and the L1.
Hehe, since VW my waves.plugs are out of use in the master-insert. (I use the RenEQLs in the channel-inserts though)

But when it comes to compression, itLs the MIXpressor, and when i want to have a fatter and warmer bass its MixBass.
I remember that once I told a friend (somebody being really sceptical concerning making good sounding music on a computer) that the day will come when there will be the mastering-plugins fitting my taste exactely - and then those polish freaks appeared. \:\)

And LWL: I am not good in sound-theories and mastering-skill or so. I just trust my ears, and listen to good-sounding music to know which sound ILd love to get nearer with my own music.
best wishes from here to there

putte
;\)

#34 - 12/18/01 10:03 AM Re: Mixtreble & VW
hansfilz Offline

Loc: kühlungsborn, germany
you can never get good audio results with logic because it´s audioengine is so bad.
you can simply compare that with professional audio progs like samplitude and you will hear the difference...

#35 - 12/18/01 01:39 PM Re: Mixtreble & VW
putte Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hansfilz:
you can never get good audio results with logic because it?s audioengine is so bad.
you can simply compare that with professional audio progs like samplitude and you will hear the difference...

oh, really? At least my ears like what they get when I work with Logic Audio, and as there are many, many other musicians and producers working with Logic I cannot second what you said here.
But hey! We all have the choice, and you seem to be happy with your host, right?
So am I. \:\)
putte

#36 - 12/27/01 04:59 PM Re: Mixtreble & VW
Sonic Offline

Loc: Dartmouth, NS, Canada
Hi there. Just got here via the Nuendo site and got the free meters. Looks great! I use pinguin meters but they're nothing fancy to look at though reliable. So over here I come wandering and see the cool VW plug. Think I may have to check it out tho 30 second time intervals suck.

I'll ask you guys seeing you've spent some time with it...How do you find it stacks up to the L1? Were you using the L1 to dither? If so what are you using now?

And last but not least. Is this thing reliable? Thanx for taking a few minutes to reply, I'm looking forward to see what develops with these plugs. Cheers!

Sonic
Sonic Valley

#37 - 12/28/01 02:00 AM Re: Mixtreble & VW
putte Offline

Before VW and the MixPack-plugs entered the scene I always used the waves-plugs.
And to me itLs very simple:
The waves plugs are cold to me,
the PSP-plugs are warm and have character.
\:\)

easy...
putte

#38 - 01/13/02 07:30 AM Re: Mixtreble & VW
OTR Mastering Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Have only used the VW demo, but I must say that it rocks!

On another forum, I was reading alot of posts bragging about the Izotope Ozone program. The concensus was that the Volume Maximizer in Ozone is equal to or better than the L1.

I have never used the L1, but I have tried the Ozone demo, and the VW absolutely SMOKES the Ozone VM. I get much bigger sound with plenty of room for more w/o distortion with the VW. (Nice work guys!)

One area that I haven't figured out yet is how to really get a punchy bottom end out of it. The freq. knob for low end needs higher resolution - can't pick any freqs. between 100 & 110 and also between 110 & 120.

Incidentally, I have just started using ProToolsFREE and was wondering if the VW can be used as a plug-in there?

#39 - 01/13/02 07:42 AM Re: Mixtreble & VW
OTR Mastering Offline

BTW-
I guess I should mention that my OS is Win98 SE.

I do have the VST Wrapper Lite which allows you to open a VST plug-in within the DirectX environment. Don't know if that will apply to using VW in ProToolsFREE, though.

Thanks.

#40 - 01/26/02 03:14 PM Re: Mixtreble & VW
Mateusz Wozniak PSP Offline

Hi All,

Thanks Jeff for good words

You can finaly set knobs by pressing a Shift key during mouse movement. It gives you a resolution good to set those knobs to almost every setting you need.

The RTAS version of the VintageWarmer is in development so you could use it in PT FREE too.

Regards,

#41 - 01/27/02 04:04 AM Re: Mixtreble & VW
OTR Mastering Offline

Bought the full version of the VW & love it! I also found all the presets with it, too. (They were missing from the demo version.)

I have found the 'Shift' key method to be of great help in fine tuning settings.

However, I still think that we could really use some much needed greater resolution on the bottom end knob. I don't believe that jumping from 100.9 to 110 & then from 110.9 to 120 is near good enough for tweaking the low freqs. We need to be able to dial in all the in-between freqs. that are missing from the current selections. It is far more critical to be able to adjust the low end in small increments than it is the high end.

JL
OTR

#42 - 01/27/02 04:34 PM Re: Mixtreble & VW

I think you maybe found a bug I wasn't aware of. The bug is rather in the display for LowFreq knob then in a real settings of the filter frequency.
I will take a closer look at the problem.

Thanks,

#43 - 01/28/02 12:08 AM Re: Mixtreble & VW
OTR Mastering Offline

FYI:

While making fine adjustments (Shift key depressed) to the Low-end knob with the knob control in "linear" position, I have found many instances where the values will stay within a certain range and just repeat from the beginning.

For example:
I was adjusting the low-end value in the 100 - 100.9 range. When the value reached 100.9 as I was moving the mouse upward (increasing values), the next value reading was 100.0 & then continued upwards toward 100.9. As I continued along and reached 100.9 again, the next value again returned to 100.0. I had to physically move the pointer to a new location on the knob in order to get out of that range. This has happened on several occaisions.

Just thought you might like to know.

JL
OTR

#44 - 01/30/02 06:14 PM Re: Mixtreble & VW

You are right. There is a bug in the Low Freq control. However it is only a display problem, the filter itself is adjusted smoothly.

#45 - 01/31/02 08:02 PM Re: Mixtreble & VW
OTR Mastering Offline

How we know when you have fixed the bug & how will we get the revised version?

#46 - 02/02/02 05:07 PM Re: Mixtreble & VW

We will send a news letter to all registered users of the VintageWarmer when the update will be ready.

Regards,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >