Topic Options
#2133 - 09/26/02 01:59 AM MixSaturator applications?
dtobocman Offline

Someone mentioned earlier that the MixSaturator can add shimmer to vocals -- I can't get it to happen (aside from boosting the shelf EQ via the adjust knob). Am I missing something? Could you run down some of your favorite applications for this plug-in? Maybe a few comments on how the drive interacts with different instruments and their frequency content. Also, tips on using the mix parameter would be cool (I can see it's benefit with a compressor plug, but not here). Thanks--

--David Tobocman

#2134 - 09/26/02 05:38 AM Re: MixSaturator applications?
Mateusz Wozniak PSP Offline

Try out some presets and try to adjust a drive slider. I already heard some recordings where the MixSaturator was used on vocals and they sounded fine.

#2135 - 09/26/02 06:39 PM Re: MixSaturator applications?
dtobocman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mateusz Wozniak PSP:
Try out some presets and try to adjust a drive slider. I already heard some recordings where the MixSaturator was used on vocals and they sounded fine.

Yes, I have tried moving the drive slider. I'm wondering if you could comment on what I should be listening for. For instance, in the Pod manual, different amp models have different characteristics when the drive parameter is increased -- with some amp models, they suggest using the drive parameter instead of the treble parameter when going for a brighter sound, etc. With vocal "shimmer", I was hoping you could give some detailed explanation on how to use the treble shelg EQ/compressor.

Thanks,
David Tobocman

#2136 - 09/26/02 07:12 PM Re: MixSaturator applications?
Mateusz Wozniak PSP Offline

I think the MixSaturator is something different compared to an amp simulator however there are some similarities.
There are some presets like those with Mix in the name which have a treble section turned on and high frequencies slightly compressed and adjusted. You can try these presets and experiment with the treble adjust, compress and then drive. Please note that a saturation section is the last in the chain so final sound depends on both the treble section's settings and a drive.

#2137 - 09/26/02 09:50 PM Re: MixSaturator applications?
dtobocman Offline

Thanks, Mateusz...you've pointed me in the right direction.

David Tobocman

#2138 - 10/08/02 10:08 AM Re: MixSaturator applications?
Petter Offline

Hi there,

This is how I like to use MixSaturator on vocals to add what I percieve as "shimmer".

1. Turn the drive to down to zero.
2. Slowly turn the drive up until there is audiable distortion.
3. Back off just a little bit on the drive to clean it up.
4. Try the above with the different characteristics (valve 1-3 and tape 1-3, I generally end up using tape).

This usually yields a really nice bright and shimmery sound. This is a very subtle effect, so don't expect too much.

Generally I do not use the treble part of MixSaturator. Maybe I should?

I guess it is similar to what you can do with MixTreble, but I prefer MixSaturator as it sounds a bit warmer to me.

/Petter