Topic Options
#2130 - 09/26/02 01:50 AM cure for volume boost?
dtobocman Offline

PSP guys --
I'm using the MixPack plugins & VM on individual tracks and I'm always having to bring down the output. Aside from using the mix parameter (an awesome feature; I've always had to mix a compressed signal with a dry signal to acheive this, which in plug-in world, can be phase-hell), which parameter should I decrease to bring the volume back down to the input's original volume? Right now, in the MixPressor, for instance, I'm confused as to whether I should bring down the output, or manually set the make-up (instead of using auto, then decreasing the output). I'm sure this is a common question; perhaps you could make recommendations per plug-in, including VW.

Thank You,

David Tobocman

#2131 - 09/27/02 08:00 PM Re: cure for volume boost?
dtobocman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by dtobocman:
PSP guys --
I'm using the MixPack plugins & VM on individual tracks and I'm always having to bring down the output. Aside from using the mix parameter (an awesome feature; I've always had to mix a compressed signal with a dry signal to acheive this, which in plug-in world, can be phase-hell), which parameter should I decrease to bring the volume back down to the input's original volume? Right now, in the MixPressor, for instance, I'm confused as to whether I should bring down the output, or manually set the make-up (instead of using auto, then decreasing the output). I'm sure this is a common question; perhaps you could make recommendations per plug-in, including VW.

Thank You,

David Tobocman

PSP guys --

Please answer this query. It's the most common, recurring problem I have with your product. Wondering....

--David Tobocman

#2132 - 09/27/02 10:16 PM Re: cure for volume boost?
Mateusz Wozniak PSP Offline

Thanks for your questions.
The Mix slider is specially designed to avoid any phase problems which would occur if you tried to do the same thing outside of the plug-in.
In the case of the MixPressor, MixSaturator and the VintageWarmer the signal of 0dBFS input outs as 0dBFS.
To change a MixPressor's behavior to more standard just use a manual make-up. This will work now as with other compressors. The signal is attenuated on its louder parts but a make-up setting is something like a gain control of the quiter parts of an input signal. However without using make-up greater then 0dB you will not benefit from output sat or lim algorithms.
In the case of the MixSaturator you should use an output knob to have the same signal levels as on the input.
In the VintageWarmer do the same as with the MixSaturator - use the output knob to control the level and it wont affect the processing in other ways then attenuating it.